6/11/08

Summer's surgery

Summer's surgery is over! We are very relieved every thing went well. Tom and I do not handle stress very well. We nit pick and take our stress out on each other, good thing we can just laugh about it later (that's what we did when we were driving away from the hospital).

Recap on the day... got Summer up at 5:45 and she was not happy, she screamed/cried at me for 1/2 hour about not wanting to go to the hospital. I'm sure her being tired had something to do with the fit, but she also understood what was going on. My brother, Joe, slept over so he could be with the kids while we were gone...he's brave! I had taken Summer to pick out a toy to bring to the surgery the night before, she got a stuffed dog and a barbie, so much for sticking to one toy. Those seemed to calm her down in the car.


at the hospital, in the jammies they have, she was SO mad at us, she wouldn't look at us or talk to us, it made me sad...

here's the glare we got frequently

she warmed up after Tom started blowing bubbles at me

she loves bubbles!



she wanted to keep the bubbles...but couldn't take them. I had to go out and get some for her after we were home

playing right before they took her in

they have wagons and she loved it but was mad when we were taking her back to surgery, she wouldn't look at us

more sulking, I am totally surprised that I didn't lose it when they took her away. Her barbie has wings that fold down and then pop up so she was showing everyone. We could hear them all oohh and ahhh when she went into the room. They have scented gas to put them asleep and she chose watermelon. We were so nervous about the anesthesia, I hated the "scare sheet" we had to sign! We said lots of prayers!

she had a hard time waking up, she was so out of it, very sad. Tom and I kept talking about how hard it would be to have a seriously ill child. I can't even imagine.

My poor baby! The first thing she said to us was, "I can't swallow" awwww, and imagine that sounding like she has 5 marshmallows in her mouth. She had to have oxygen for 5 hours after because her levels kept dropping, they were going to keep her over night but she finally got out of that. She also kept throwing up and we couldn't leave until she kept 4 oz of fluid down. She sounded horrible when she coughed.


When we got home my mom and dad were there and brought dinner! That was so nice to come home to! They had also cleaned up a bit, apparently Zack and Sydney were hyper for Joe all day...not surprised. Thanks mom and dad and Joe!!!!! I slept with Summer last night, she was up every hour, I am tired, but she is playing and happy today. Sydney cried all night after we got home because she wants her tonsils out too! I asked her why and she said, "because then I will get attention and presents and eat popsicles." (I took her with me to the store to get Summer's bubbles and got her a few treats). The other kids ask for a popsicle every 10 minutes, maybe I should have bought 10 boxes! I only bought 2 boxes so I told the kids they have to wait 3 days and then they could have some, Zack just asked me if he could have a popsicle, I said "no" for the hundredth time and that they were for Summer. He said, "so she just gets to eat treats all day?!" me, big sigh....

We have several family and friends who have been with their babies in the hospital for months, gone through surgeries, etc...I seriously don't know how you all did it! We were only at Primary Children's for a day, and that was tough enough. What a great hospital to be at though!

16 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I've only had a child have surgery once, and I hated it! It's so sad to have them wheeled away from you, and you know you can't do anything at that point. Glad it's over, and hope she gets feeling better.

Athack77 said...

I'm glad Summer's okay now. I couldn't handle my kids having surgery. I've had enough for all my family and then some!! I hope she's 100% soon.

Cannon Clan said...

poor summer! hospital stay is hard on everyone! so glad everything went well!

Bapa said...

I'm glad the surgery went well.

Angie said...

I am glad she is feeling better. Kids seem to rebound so fast. And for the record, I hope to NEVER have to visit another hospital EVER. When Macie was in the hospital(the 2nd time) , I cried the whole time, the nurses thought I was having a breakdown. I wasn't so much crying for Mace, I knew she would be fine. I cried because I missed the family vacation we had planned for 6 months!!! I am a horrible mother.

Terri said...

Oh poor summer. I hope your popcicle supply holds.

Wendy said...

Oh Sally! I'm glad Summer is fine - I couldn't imagine having a child sick/in hospital. I'm surprised you didn't break down while they were wheeling her away and she wouldn't look at you!

Mindy said...

Yeah - it's over! I'm so glad everything went well... Only you and Tom could make having your tonsils out look so fun!

Jen Stewart said...

Glad things went well. Aren't those hospital jammies just the saddest things? Hope she has a swift recovery!

Unknown said...

Don't you think kids should be exempt from anything sick or painful?

Glad to hear she is ok!

Ginn Family said...

I'm glad she is doing good. I have been thinking about you, I know how fun all that stuff can be. Please let me know if you need anything!!

Kelli Proctor said...

poor girl! Wow, that is a big thing for her to go through! Glad everything is ok now!

Tyra said...

I hope she is feeling better. I know several kids that have all had the same surgery over the past month or two. Now must be the season. Yeah for popsicles!!

Katie said...

I hope she's doing better now!

Unknown said...

When she is feeling better we need to get Summer and my Breanna together. She is four (almost 5) and always looking for someone to play with. Let me know if you are interested!

Heather H said...

I am glad her surgery went well, I hope you get some more popsicles soon!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Visitors

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed