7/25/08

Gas is killing me!

And I don't mean the bodily function! So what do you do when you have a huge vehicle that gets no more than 10 miles per gallon...you don't eat that's what you do! :) OR you don't drive, and that has worked out fine this summer but when school starts in a few weeks...last year I was spending about $400/month on gas and since then gas has doubled in price...so you do the math. *SIGH* So options are

1.
sell the van and get a small old sedan to drive to work and whenever we go anywhere as a family we have to take 2 cars or
2.
sell the van and get a used minivan but then we may have a car payment which we don't want or
3.
just suck it up and keep the bus. (we like our van, it's just expensive to drive!)

(Keep in mind that nobody wants to buy a huge gas guzzling vehicle right now!) What would you do????? And quitting my job is not an option right now and I will be doing a post on that next because we had a really cool experience with that decision!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

I would find out how much your van is worth and then look for a minivan that is around the same price or a couple thousand dollars more. Depending on the minivan, you may be able to get one that gets up to 25 mpg and a small auto loan plus the cost of gas would probably still equal a monthly savings with the current price of gas compared to what you are spending now. Plus, your loan shouldn't take that long to pay off and then you would see even more savings.

Jennifer said...

oh, and even though your van is gas guzzling, for a family that is bigger than 8, they don't have a whole lot of vehicle options, so it may not be as hard to sell as you think.

Laura said...

I thought for a sec, the third option was Take the bus. I was thinking---that would be rough with 4 kids in tow, but then I reread it. That is part of the reason, we are having a "staycation" rather than a "vacation" this summer.

V and Co. said...

move to a small town where you walk everywhere and never use your car! sorry about the gas situation

Angi and Jared Cowley said...

I want to know more about not quitting your job!!!! I am dying to know what that means...another baby perhaps?:)

Andelin said...

I like Jennifer's ideas...so what is your job?

Cannon Clan said...

i hate gas prices too. to by anything we have to drive to santa fe and it takes an hour to get to target. im starting to try to go less.

Anne Marie said...

Oh my goodness!!! That is so much money. I do hope you figure out a good solution soon. The Lord will definitely help you guys.

Sally said...

I teach special ed grades 1-3. I love it and my kids go to my school so that's nice too. But (there's always a "but") I would NOT be working if I had a choice! :)

Terri said...

Keep the van and start a shuttle service and make money off your passengers!

Corinne said...

keep your tires full and all that engine maintenence that keeps your van getting the best gas mileage... I'm just learning about all this stuff right now. You're right that it may be nearly impossible to get a buyer willing to purchase a big ol' gas guzzler right now, especially with the economy being the way it is so people dont want to spend money. However, you do live in a land where people need high seating capacity vehicles...

Try and cut costs in other ways to make up for expensive gas. Is there another bill you could eliminate? Cable? A cell-phone? Or just that accumulation of little things. This is also something I'm all about these days. Those dollars that sneak out of our pockets all stealth-like. Y'know, impulse buys, or not re-using things.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Visitors

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed